Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Pretty Much a Dream Come True


How many times have you said to a really dear friend who you hardly see any more, "Let's take a trip! We'll leave the men and the kids and just go somewhere fun for a weekend." And then you debate the merits of certain destinations over others, consider the ideal season for the travel dates, determine the timing so as not to interfere with any current or potential babies' nursing schedules, ... And then you sigh, long and deeply, because you know that it probably won't ever happen, because, let's face it, you can't really justify using your mortgage money to gallivant around an exotic city with your girlfriends.

IT HAPPENED!!! And I didn't even have to forgo a mortgage payment! In October, I took a trip to San Francisco with my dear and far flung friends, Lisa and Missy. We all met eight years ago in Boston, and we have that type of friendship that you know from early on, is going to last the rest of your lives. The trip was even better than I could have imagined. I'm not intending to make anyone envious, but I have to lay out the facts here:

  1. Five days in San Francisco
  2. Hotel right at Fisherman's Wharf
  3. Two dreamy flights with layovers, translating into approximately 14 hours of uninterrupted reading, music-listening, people-watching time
  4. A purse (a purse!) for 5 days containing nary a diaper or Cheerio or fruit snack or baby wipes
  5. Perfect weather in the 60's and sunshiney each day
  6. Two gracious friends in Texas watching the kids while Derek worked
  7. A fabulous husband at home taking care of the kiddos without a single begrudging remark
  8. The awesome and generous Lisa (and her husband) who donated their frequent flier miles and Marriott points so that three girls in Vegas, Boston, and Austin could all go to San Fran absolutely FREE (Thanks, Tim, for booking all those flight hours on our behalf!)
  9. But best of all, time with my fantastic friends to catch up on the past years since we've all been together
Here are some highlights, besides the fact that the whole thing was a highlight. We were just map-toting, oohing and aahing, comfy-shoed tourists. And it was great!

The awesomely awesome farmer's market at the Farmers' Building Marketplace. If you're into samples, this is the place. The vendors practically throw their food at you--fresh California citruses, raspberry honey almonds and Aspen mint chocolate almonds, lemon quark (a kind of European cheese), pumpkin paratha, plump golden raisins...Are you drooling yet?


Alcatraz was very, very cool. And foggy, in a very San Francisco-y way. I loved the plants and trees on the island. It's so not Texas.

See, prison life isn't so bad. Look, this guy learned to knit! Aww, cute little knitter-criminal.

I'll bet Scarface wouldn't have crossed her.

Everyone needs a smiling pic with the ladies in front of a prison cell.

Ooh, pretty.

Watching the sea lions frolic at Pier 39 while devouring....

our daily breakfast from Boudin (the touristy but quintessential sourdough bread bakery)

Walking, walking, walking without anyone complaining or begging to be carried

Mmm..Ghirardelli..


Hamming it up on the cable car. Derek would never have tolerated this.


Our nightlife consisted of watching chick flicks and munching on the various snacks imported from around the country (specifically, Boston, Austin, and Vegas). Can anyone name that movie?

I truly anticipated that I would be anxious to get home and see my family by the end of the trip, and--not to sound greedy here--but I could have done another few days. Especially when I heard what a lovely time my children were having while I was gone. I must say that while I was mostly relieved and pleased that they seemed totally fine and happy without me, a tiny part of me wanted them to miss me just a little. (ha!)

I miss you ladies. Let's do it again!

9 comments:

Adah said...

Wow it looks like you had such a great time!!! I think that vacation is every young moms dream...maybe some day!!

Jeni said...

What a fun trip with the girls!!

How sad that I moved 2 weeks before you visited the SF bay.

Seeing these pictures makes me sad and long for my old life in the city. I want to hear everything (crazy stories, crazy people, etc.) when you come for Christmas.

What a trip!!

Cheryl said...

Sounds like a blast! Yes, there is a certain charm about The City. I used to live 1½ hours from there and would go shopping with my mom and her friend once a month. My favorite thing to do is have a real crab louie and that wonderful sourdough bread. But the ice cream sundaes at Ghirardelli Square are a must too.

Farrah said...

It looks like it was an amazing trip! I'm so glad that you were able to go and have a fabulous time!

Jane Kay said...

What a delightfully shared adventure of 3 busy Moms from Austin, Boston and Vegas taking on San Francisco. How wonderful! Thank you Lisa and 3 great Dads.

Jan said...

What a fun adventure!! Way to go taking advantage of some girl time!

jeana said...

North and South!!! One of the best chick flicks ever! What an awesome trip. I miss you in yoga. :(

Missletoe said...

The only sad thing about the trip is that it is over. sigh. I really enjoyed looking forward to it. We have to figure out how to do it again AND SOON! Thanks for letting me re-live the moment. I miss you!

Santos said...

I think day-dreaming about the next trip will be all the more fun now that we know that we CAN and WILL make it happen! Thanks for the memories, Sandy!