Wednesday, September 8, 2010

And So It Begins


Ava started kindergarten. She was excited. And then she wasn't. She cried and clung. But then she stopped. She has (I quote) "awesomely perfect" days. She has "horrible, 2-thumbs down" days. Sometimes on the same day. All in all, it's getting better. We think she'll be just fine. But it's been a little rough at times. On all of us. We cling to the shiny moments, and hope that they will win out in the end. Or hopefully sooner than the end.

This is the closest we got to a first-day-of-school shot BEFORE school. Let's just say that that was not a happy hug. That was an escape attempt. Sorry, Future Ava, but we just had to document it.

But AFTER school was much better. It probably helped that she was coming home to her awesomely awesome cousins, who happened to be visiting from Seattle.



And on the 2nd day of school, everyone was primed for a full photo shoot.

"Teach me, dear papa, what I need to know to succeed in kindergarten."

"But how will I learn everything I need to know in one week?"

"Kindergarten is longer than one week? Two weeks?"

"You're just joking, Dad! No one could go to school for 20 years!"

"Dad, you're so silly."

"I'll go ask Mom."

"How could you do this to me?"

5 comments:

Bess said...

When did Ava turn into a little lady and not a toddler:( She is so big (and so gorgeous). I'm glad that days are going a little better.

Moshi said...

Hi Sandy,
I hadn't checked your blog for a while, I can't believe Ava is in kindergarten already. Time sure flies. I hope it all gets better, it probably will as soon as she has her first crush on some little boy, haha, just kidding.

I'm glad you guys are doing well, the girls are so cute.

Take care!

Jan said...

So sweet! This full day thing really does throw them in the fire huh? Love her cute skirts!

Jeni said...

I'm sure things will go better. Sara was excited for school...hopped right on the bus and didn't look back. When she gets home however she slumps real low all I hear is "mom, I had a bad day...we didn't get to play. I didn't get to push the cart and I didn't learn one single thing, not one thing."

Katie said...

Wow, I can't believe how grown up she looks. Cute pictures.