
What do YOU do when you're stuck at a traffic light? I have found that our little community here in Austin has an abundance of sloooow traffic lights. While nearly everything that I could possibly need outside of my home-sweet-home is within a mile or two, I have to pass through several lights (including the tortuous left-hand turn signals) to get to any of these places. Now, Boston had traffic lights, but they generally had a quick turn-around because there just wasn't enough room for big, wide roads that necessitated long traffic signals. But here I find myself tapping my fingers impatiently when I'm stuck for 2..3..4 minutes at a time. And while I can be a very patient person under many circumstances, this is not one of them (For an exhaustive list of the other circumstances in which I am not patient, I will direct you to my husband and older daughter).
I know that some of you must have great ideas. My mom, for instance, flosses her teeth at traffic lights. Give me your suggestions, and maybe we can all have our around-town driving moments brightened a bit.
Monday, November 19, 2007
Traffic Light Tedium
Posted by
SandyKay
at
2:51 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
"You know, these are probably opportunities given to you to spend more time in the scriptures. Put a set in the car and you'll never be at a loss for what to do with your time. You may even be able to initiate some good gospel-oriented discussions with the person in the next car!"
~Love,
Molly
Hey Molly, I think we have the same name! (I stash my BoM under the drivers seat).
How about knitting? Cross stitch? Crochet? Ha ha? Writing shopping lists? Plan menus? More laughter? How about a 3-5 minute mental vacation to an exotic paradise...ya, that sounds better.
Then there is your favorite pass time... chatting on the phone!
But Delise does bring up a great point, some of my best moments of the day are when the kids are tethered down and I can just blissfully cruise around.
when i'm not quoting scripture to my children, lucy and i tell stories together. right now there are 3 variations: the princess story, the pirate story (sorry, she usually makes ava sweep the poop deck), or the travel in various vehicles to the zoo story. it's amazing how these can eat up time. though i also like to clean my car with baby wipes...
That's funny about the zoo story, because Derek and I have a story we tell to Ava ad nauseum, which she calls "Ava Goes to Zoo, Sees LOTS of animals". It involves Sam, Abi, David, MIssy, Mommy, Daddy, Penelope and NOT BRAD (he's at work!) going to the zoo together and their crazy antics with many animals, but generally the foxes, giraffes, turtles, and cats. The other fave story is "Ava Goes to Abi's House."
I'm changing Miss Molly's vote...
I think cleaning the car with baby wipes is definitely high on the list! Of course, any scripture reading I can get done makes me feel better about my day but so does a clean car!
Post a Comment