Friday, March 21, 2008

A Classy Lady Turns 100



On March 19th we celebrated my beautiful grandmother's 100th birthday. The girls and I drove home to Arkansas for the occasion, so we were able to party with the residents at Grandma's assisted living home all afternoon, then wine & dine that night with her and her friends (okay, no wining, but plenty of dining).
Grandma was born in 1908. I can't even imagine that a person alive THEN could be alive NOW, but she was, and she is. My grandmother grew up in Salt Lake Valley, attended college at the Brigham Young Academy back in 1926 (!), married handsome Bill and moved to California in time for the Depression, taught drama and English for 36 years in LA Public Schools, then retired to sunny Palm Desert for 3 decades. Ten years ago, she moved from there to Arkansas, where she could be close to my mom (her daughter).

My grandmother is the most gracious, thoughtful, appreciative, and insightful person you can imagine. If you can conjure up in your mind the stereotypical cantankerous, crotchety elderly person--Grandmother is the absolute opposite. Though she has a really difficult time remembering things, and she often doesn't recognize anyone outside of her close family, she has remained incredibly sweet and always concerned with other people.

We've all seen Grandma struggle to adjust to her new home in Arkansas, while her memory and comprehension gradually slip away. Yet through it all, she has retained her graciousness and gratitude for all around her. She finds pleasure in simple things, like family and babies and blossoming trees in springtime.
Some of my favorite memories of Grandma are of visiting her at her home in the desert. Every morning, she would prepare a breakfast of moist, peppery scrambled eggs, wheat toast with homemade strawberry jam, and a fresh-picked grapefruit from the front yard.

In her garage, she had a refrigerator with a big white bucket full of strawberries from her garden. I remember back then being amazed that strawberries could be so sweet. And now, I am amazed that one-hundred year olds can be so sweet, too.

6 comments:

Bess said...

I love your Grandma. She is so sweet and so stinking cute. I am glad you got to go home.

Jeni said...

What a sweet entry about your grandma! How amazing that she is still alive! My grandparents and Jason's grandparents have long passed away. Even Jason's mom is no longer with us. You are so lucky! Thank you SO SO SO SO much for the sweet phone message and birthday surprise package. I loved Ava's drawing too. She is going be an artist just like Derek. Thank you again! You are so nice for remembering my birthday! It really made my day!!

Missletoe said...

I want to be just like your grandma when I am 100. Okay, I REALLY wish I was as pleasant as she is right now. It really is your family trait. You and your mom are right in line (but somehow I think this trait gets sweeter with age...he he he).

Cherisa said...

What an amazing story! When I was about 10 I decided I didn't need to live past 60 since that was SUPER old. Now, however, at the ripe old age of 31, turning 100 is looking pretty good!

Glad you got to take the girls up to Arkansas!

kelly said...

hey- i stole a picture from your blog for mine... the pictures on this particular computer only go back a year or so, and i didn't have any of grandmother since i haven't been back to arkansas in that time. i also referenced your blog because your message was perfect. i can taste those desert breakfasts.

Adah said...

wow she is quite the looker!! I had a great grate grandfather that lived to be 101!! It is crazy to be that old. I don't know if I want to live that long but then again I don't really want to die ether.