Friday, April 4, 2008

On the Road

I know I've been a lazy blogger lately, but I was just so busy being lazy in Arkansas that I didn't have time to write anything. But I'm back now from our 15 days on the road: the suitcases are unpacked, the goldfish and raisins are emptied from the carseat, and I've stopped humming "The ants go marching ten by ten, hurrah, hurrah..."

I am proud to say that I accomplished my first solo Texas-Arkansas drive with the girls in both good time and good humor. It's about a 10-hour drive, give or take an hour, and the girls were truly champs. Okay, who are we kidding: I was the snack-passing, eternally-long-story-telling, singing, safe-driving champ, if I ever saw one.

The time really flew, and we had a pretty good time. I discovered a charming little pitstop outside of Dallas called Bass Pro Shops (haha). It really was perfect timing when I saw the billboard after 3 hours of driving. Ava was antsy, PJ was hungry, and I wanted a change in conversation (How many versions of the story about Ava, Daddy, and the flying pony named Glittery can I tell?). So I said to Ava, "Do you want to see some fish?" She looked at me with big astonished eyes and said, "REAL fish?" It was almost like the zoo, but better, because it didn't smell, the goats didn't slobber on us, and there were luxury pontoons to climb on. And somehow I resisted buying PJ a camouflage onesie. Somehow.

We had a great time in Arkansas. My parents are terrific hosts (complete with a freezer stocked with a variety of Ben & Jerry's) and it is wonderfully relaxing to be at home. We also traveled to Memphis to visit my brother's family while I was there. My sister-in-law Cheri was recently diagnosed with breast cancer, and she is 7.5 months pregnant. Though she began chemotherapy the week before we saw her, she was still feeling good and looked fabulous (see below--yowzers!).

I know she has a rough road ahead of her, but she has the most incredible attitude you could imagine. She is so strong and optimistic; I really admire her so much. We loved seeing her and the rest of the family. While there, Ava and her cousin explored their inner princesses:


In other news, PJ is seriously starting to crawl, though she can barely sit up unassisted (this is one of her first successes). More pictures to come of the crawling, no doubt...

The Arkansas River flooded at Toad Suck Park while we were there. We took several drives to the river to check out the rising waters, the most exciting trip being the one in which we spotted two water moccasins floating near shore on debris. Oh, and the two centipedes ("Daddy" and "Baby"), which Ava was just as impressed by. This pic shows the flooded road leading into the park.

And we celebrated the true meaning of Easter with new Easter dresses (just kidding, Mom). Here, Ava is being tormented by her baby sister, while Grandma is stealthily assisting with the failed photo op.



We miss you, Grandma and Granddad! Thanks for all the cuddles for the gals and the breaks for their mom!

While we were gone, Derek soothed his lonely soul with movies that he reckoned his wife wouldn't be as eager to see, such as Night of the Lepus, Zu Warriors, Grave of the Fireflies, and Ikiru. Perhaps Derek will grace us with some movie reviews one of these days...

10 comments:

kelly said...

oh- the girls are so cute in those dresses! your pictures make me even more anxious for our trip to arkansas in a couple weeks. well, first i've got to get over this pneumonia (thank you spell check)- and yes i said pneumonia! sickness ju-jus please leave us alone!

Cherisa said...

Oh my goodness... Where to start!?

First, how could you ever resist buying a camoflage onesie? PJ would have looked fabulous!

Second, Toad Suck Park? Where did that name come from???

And, finally, how brave of your sister-in-law (and brother and family) to be dealing with such difficult personal health while pregnant. I'd probably be a gooey mess of tears and she looks amazing! Seems like you have some incredible women in your family!

Glad to know the trip went well and everyone made it home safe and sound! We miss you here. When will you be trying for a road trip to Mass??? :)

Meredith said...

The dresses are so precious! PJ and Emmy are in the same boat, roll-over sitters. It's got to be all that horizontal nursing.

Missletoe said...

I am glad to see that the girls were taught the true meaning of Easter. Afterall, matching dresses has to be the best part of having girls! They make my heart melt.

I like the stealth pic of your Mom as a baby prop. Next time I am feeling blue I will pull that out of my visual rolodex and smile.

Lynne said...

Sandy - I recently got back in touch with Kelly & Craig. I'm glad to see you have a blog as well. Your girls are darling. It's also good to see your parents in these pictures - they are wonderful. Our blog is at: www.illinoisolivers.blogspot.com We have some pictures posted of our family and there are also links to my siblings and Jen/Nat. Take care - Lynne (Shepherd)

Cheri said...

Wow, Sandy. I haven't ever had anyone say 'yowzers' about me!! That feels pretty cool. Love you!

Spencer and Kari said...

Welcome to Texas! I don't know how long you have been here, but welcome all the same. We are in Houston but make trips to Austin on occasion. The last time I saw the two of you was right before you moved to Boston. So, a lot has changed. Hope you are well and visit our blog to remember who I am.

Spencer

Adah said...

Looks like your trip was very fun. I love the girls dresses where did you get them?

By the way I agree it has been too long since we talked maybe I will call you some time soon or you can call me!!

C and T Orvin said...

Wow...it was great to hear from you on our blog. Your blog is so dang cute! Love the name choice...its perfectly! I have to agree with everyone that the girls dresses are adorable...love them for reals. We are very sorry to hear about your sisterinlaw. Keep all of us updated about her and the baby. They will be in our prayers for sure. Your grandma looks fabulous. Tell your mom Hi! We love Sister Sharp! Keep in touch - Tiff

SandyKay said...

My mom picked out the Easter dresses. Pretty cute, eh? And very Mom, as anyone who knows her would agree!