
My girls recently received these beautiful and adorable hand-knitted gifts in the mail from an old dear friend of mine, Sarah. Ava loved them instantly (I think she could sense that they were special), and PJ sucked on them with a little more reverence than her average toy.
Seeing these fantastic creations reminded me how badly I want to be an accomplished crafter. Making things brings me great pleasure, and I have taken an interest in many crafty skills such as knitting, sewing, bookmaking, scrapbooking, woodwork, pop-up art, and paper crafts of all types. I scan craft magazines, websites, and books, and Derek buys me crafty pattern books for Christmas gifts every couple of years. I have a stockpile of yarn, a box of fabric, and ideas for projects scattered around. But I apparently don't want to be a crafter badly enough, because I have far more projects-in-the-works than I have finished products. Somewhere along the way, I get busy with other things or else I realize that I'm not as talented as I imagined myself to be when I began the task (e.g., I don't know how many times I've learned to purl, dang it, and I still don't have the hang of it...). And yet I still am constantly itching to make things.
I think that some of this is due to my current at-home, non-working status. When I had a job (the paid type, not the paid-in-hugs-and-cherished-memories-type), I really enjoyed completing projects--whether it was teaching a class, conducting a meeting, writing a report, or helping some kid stop hitting another kid. Every week, I learned something new and many weeks, I did something that made me a little uncomfortable because it was different from what I had done before. And that is something that I truly miss--the feeling of anticipation/anxiety towards a new task, the excitement of the learning & experimenting process, and the satisfaction that accompanied the finished product or assignment or newly acquired skill. I absolutely believe that I am learning while I am home with my kids--there is no doubt about that. This is a job that offers all sorts of opportunities for growth, maturation, anxiety, pride, and hands covered in poop (sorry, but it's true.). And I am extremely happy and appreciative to be doing exactly what I am doing right now. I wouldn't change it for anything. Being home with the girls right now suits my temperament, as well as my personal goals. Nonetheless, I miss that certain brand of accomplishment and growth that my jobs offered me (my good jobs, that is. I don't miss being a papergirl.).
Which brings me to crafting. Sorry for the long interlude. I only intended to write about crafts and what a pathetic wanna-be crafter I am. I have a long list of projects on my fridge right now, and many more items on that mercurial list in my head. Lately I've had projects on my mind a lot, but can't seem to get to any of them. But hey! It looks like I had time to write about them!
For some inexplicable reason, I decided to write an ode to a few of the talented craftswomen in my life, and show a sample of their creations (Though there are many, many more dear crafters who inspire me, it IS 11:00, and I'm getting sleepy).
Crafty Ladies
My big sister's name is Kelly
She's artsy from head-toe-to-belly
She sculpts, sews, and draws
Her designs illicit "aaaw's"
She should have her own show on the telly!
And then there's my lovely friend Bess
Who crafts with such casual finesse
Her creations are so cute
With great sense of style, to boot
I long for her success, I confess
Jessica is my sister-in-law
She holds her needles without flaw
While she knits and crochets
Blankets that comfort and amaze
She also writes books (Ta-Da!)
Nothing like a little poetry to scare people away from a blog, eh? Come back again, and I'll try to resist the urge to rhyme. Nighty-night!
Tuesday, April 15, 2008
Crafter is the Best Medicine
Posted by
SandyKay
at
11:39 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
sarah's creations are beautiful. what treasures for your girls. somehow, if it's been a while since i've been purposefully creative, i have to build up my energy to do it. for instance, i don't think we've (lucy and i) done anything more than crayon and watercolor drawings for a couple months- but then last week after she made a sculpture on her own, i thought i should expand her artistic output, and in the last week we've been making stuff out the... well, whatever. just do one thing, and then the rest of it will just start happening.
oh- and thanks for the tribute!
I'm with you on wanting to acquire more creative skills. This is probably the reason I have a guitar on which I can play one song and a piano (well, keyboard) that gets used about three times per year. I once desired to learn how to throw pottery (not Taming-of-the-Shrew-style but actually making something out of clay) but I've never really wanted to learn to knit or needle point. I envy those who do have those skills but don't have enough ambition myself. Point me in the direction of the stained-glass-art class, though, and I'll be there in a heartbeat! :)
How's that for a long comment?!?!
I love hearing from people what crafts and hobbies entice them. It's fascinating! Pottery is a yes for me; guitar and piano are a no (I know my limits, and I daresay musical abilities are beyond them...).
Craftiness can be many things. Sandy, you are crafty as a great and inventive cook. The amazing whimsical world you created trying to potty Ava was another. Your wonderful photos are capturing a moment in each of your children's lives. Your clever blog which gives us each time to look within and reflect on our own lives is another. You are already crafty.
For some reason pottery wheels always make me think of house-trained tortises :) (right Bess and Sandy?) I looked at some old pics of us from that house in Provo and it seems sooo long ago. And now we are all coming up on 10th anniversaries! Thanks for the thanks!!
-Sarah
Wow, I feel famous. I am afraid my craftiness pales in comparison to others but I love to do it.
We got an amazing package from Sarah as well. The kids love the stuff and I can't get over how professional it looks.
When are you, Sarah and I going to get together anyway? How fun would that be.
Oh and I love your mom chiming in like such a mom. So cute and what she said is true.
Thanks, Mom. I knew you couldn't let me express any personal limitations without getting in the last word. :) My mom always tells me that HER mom is her best cheerleader (even at 100 years old), and I can say the same for my mom...
It appears that I have TWO cheerleaders. Lucky me! The "Mom" who left the message above was my other mom, my mother-in-law. Thanks for the nice words, Cheryl!
I'd like to do some more crafty things too. Let's do some experimenting together. That would help me finish some projects too! :)
Post a Comment