Friday, March 14, 2008

Teeth, Tissue, Texas

I know it's been a while since I've posted. I honestly wonder sometimes where the days go. I feel like I am busy most of the time, and yet I don't really have much to show for it. Okay, so my children are generally happy, nourished, and dressed (and even bathed occasionally); but that might be the extent of my accomplishments many a day. So here's what we've been up to:

PJ sprang a tooth! It's her first, and we are so very proud.

She's also had a nasty cough for a week and a half. Actually it was the Family Cold. We all took turns with it, but hers has just lingered. She's incredibly tolerant about the whole affair, though. She wakes up herself up hacking away, completely stuffed up, gagging--but doesn't cry or complain--just looks around, attempts to suck her thumb for comfort (unsuccessfully, since it blocks her only viable airway), then eventually eases back to sleep. Okay, she has been munching a little more than usual, but so far, she is demonstrating far more fortitude and stoicism in the face of illness than Derek, Ava, or I can muster. Let's hope it lasts (the fortitude, not the cold)!

Derek pulled an all-nighter at his office last week; and in return, his boss offered him a day off this week. So we enjoyed a surprise holiday on Monday, which we intended to spend in San Antonio at Sea World, only to have our scheme foiled by the downpour that lasted most of the day. It was quite a shock to have our plans disrupted by weather, as the winter has been pretty near perfect, as far as weather goes. Instead, we spent the day at the Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum, then out to dinner with an old Boston friend, Chris, who was in town for a conference.

If you are a Texan--new or seasoned--and you want to feel a swelling of pride and camaraderie and fervor for your home state, you really should go to this museum. It is the most impressive state museum I've ever been in--really interesting exhibits, a mini-theater around every corner telling stories from Texas's colorful history, a multimedia propaganda film that will have you shining your boots and waving your Lone Star with gusto (You'll hear Sam Houston say things like, "That Texas spirit lives on in you!" And you know, you really believe him, as you wipe the hopeful tears from your shining Texas eyes).

It made me happy to be a Texan.

If you went to a film about Massachusetts state history, it would end with something like, "We are proud of our history. Go ahead and have a look around. Move here, if you'd like. But you'll never belong. At least not for another 4 generations." But Texans welcome newcomers with open, loving arms.

What would be the parting message of a film in your home state's museum?

2 comments:

Amber said...

We don't have much history here...but the sun is always shinning-and isn't that all you need?!

Cherisa said...

I definitely have to agree that Texans are very welcoming of newcomers (assuming you aren't too liberal and like guns). I have felt New Englanders, in general, aren't too impressed when you say you're from anywhere else and generally would prefer all their neighbors have been here since the Mayflower touched ground. But, it's been almost eight years... I think I can start considering Massachusetts my home.

Then again, maybe I've jumped the gun a little (by about 7 or 8 generations?). =)