

This week we had a lovely, though brief, visit from a Boston friend who was in town for a few days. It was great to see Cherisa and catch up on news from home (home?). While she was here, all of us ladies took a trip to the Austin Zoo. Now, you may recall that our family took a trip there a couple of months back, but there were new adventures awaiting us this time around!
Cherisa is a genuine, card-carrying bird whisperer. Okay, maybe no card, but she loves the birds. She taught Ava and me all kinds of things: for example, when you approach a parrot, you should look at them sideways, only showing one eye. Our two eyes, close set, signify to a bird that we are predatorial, and it might make them wary of us. Cherisa cooed and chirped, caressed and nodded, while Ava giggled with amusement, especially when one of the birds said "hello" to Cherisa and then another nodded in return. I think we could have left Cherisa to cuddle with the birds for the rest of the afternoon, but we all tore ourselves away eventually.
The highlights of the visit: a parrot who fashioned a stick into a back/tummy/wing scratcher, then scratched away with apparent precision...A tiger named Ramah who kept ignoring the zookeeper's pleas to enter the tiger house (And we laughed, because really: what are they going to do? Spank her?)...And oh, did I mention it was a gorgeous 85 degrees?
You can see videos of the brilliant bird and the insouciant tiger on Cherisa's blog.
Thursday, February 28, 2008
Bird Whisperer
Posted by
SandyKay
at
5:24 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
We're all jealous of Cherisa being able to see you all(I didn't say "yall" so you'd feel more at home..since Boston is your home). Side-by-side I don't think I'd be able to tell Penelope's thighs apart from Emerson's. What are her stats these days? Emmy is 75%height, 97% weight.
you told me that outfit was surprisingly snug on penelope... have you seen that girls thighs? she's dang cute- i have a picture of you as a baby and i swear she looks just like you-
i have no idea how to talk to a bird, that'd be pretty cool to have someone along who can teach you something about it. thanks for sharing.
Wow... That Cherisa character sounds like a real flake! Talking to birds? I'm suprised you let her in your house!
Truly, it was a wonderful- if too short- little visit!
Yeah, I'll have to do a better background check next time I allow a guest to spend the night in my home..
And Meredith: At 4 months, PJ was 90% for weight and 75% (i think) for height. I decided then and there that I need to start waking her up for extra feedings. Seriously, at 2 months, she was off the charts. I must be slacking. heehee. Her next appt. is in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know how good of a mom I am then. :)
I wish I could munch on those tasty thighs! It must be nice to be in a climate where PJ can strut her stuff year round!
I am so jealous of the shorts you are all wearing. I wore flip flops to church today. Not because it was warm enough but because I want winter to END!!!!!
Post a Comment