
This is the reason I did not post a Media Monday item last Monday, and one of the reasons I haven't posted anything in the past couple of weeks: POTTY TRAINING. Yes, I am attempting--seriously this time--to teach my child to pee and poop, reliably, in the toilet. This pursuit has become a family affair, has monopolized conversations and thoughts and free time for weeks, and I am so sick of it. Potty training stinks.
So, for Media Monday, I am highlighting the book that has occupied my time and brain for the past few weeks: Potty Train Your Child in Just One Day: Proven Secrets of the Potty Pro by Teri Crane. Go ahead, laugh it up, all of you moms who have spent weeks, months, and years potty training your children. And for you moms with kids who "just taught themselves": shush it up. Okay, that was harsh, and I'm kidding. I think you're all fabulous. But some of the strain is starting to show.
So the idea of the book is that you throw this elaborate party for your potty trainee, complete with a theme, decorations, snacks, potty videos and books, activities, and a grand celebration at the end of the day. You spend the first half of the day potty training a doll (who actually has accidents and successes: yellow-dyed water and Raisinets...). The doll has her own potty chart with stickers, and is rewarded for using the toilet, trying to use the toilet, and staying dry. The child gets to choose a sticker, as well as a treat each time she shows progress (see the lovely array of choices below).
During the 2nd half of the day, you kick it into high gear and start training your child (it's assumed that your kid already knows the basics, just hasn't committed to full-time toilet use). The child then uses her own panties, her own potty chart, etc. The parent pretty much spends the whole day hyped up and full of energy and enthusiasm, or at least pretends.
We had our party nine days ago. How was it, you ask? Thanks for asking! I'm going to tell you.
First off, it was a helluva lot of work. Example: homemade panties for the doll, shown below, matching the theme of the party, which was "Puppy Picnic!"

So maybe I didn't need to make my own panties for the doll (though the author does suggest it), but truthfully I had a lot of fun with the 3 weeks of preparations for the party. Way more fun than implementing party day.
When party day arrived, we all got off to a terrible start. Ava (and thus, Derek and I) awoke at 5:45, about 3 hours earlier than usual and could not be convinced to go back to bed; she was disappointingly underwhelmed by the trees, flowers, and clouds on the living room wall; the balloons floating o'erhead; the streamers; the row of puppies lined up on the picnic cloth. In fact, she hardly seemed to notice, much less jump for joy. She did notice, however, that she was constipated, and thus spend a couple of hours in the morning painfully trying to take care of that business. The first time Ava started crying (at a very early stage in the party), I felt utter despair. All of this work for the perfect day of fun with mom, and this is what I get! ARGH. I won't go into any more details (haha), but it was a long day with a fair amount of frustration, as well as a good deal of fun for Ava. I mean, this kid had bubbles, Play-Do, a delicious variety of beverages, stickers galore, hot dogs, puppies picnicking, farm animal foam stickers, books, movies, presents, painting, and Mommy at her disposal, so it wasn't exactly miserable. But then, it wasn't exactly successful, either. It's been 9 days since the Party, and I haven't been brave enough yet to leave panties (alone) on my child, but we have banished diapers. Instead, she wears pull-ups, which are just diapers that slip on and cost twice as much. Hmm.


Actually, with some distance from the event, my perspective on the whole thing has softened up a bit. I now view it as a kick-off day for what may be a longer process of diaper liberation. I think it would have gone much more smoothly if Ava had been well-rested. I also think I failed to fully consider Ava's personality, which is possibly a bad match for this type of event: too much hoopla and too much pressure. But we still use the potty chart, the stickers, the potty videos, the Wonder Pets cut-outs (a bit of genius on my part, if I may say so: Linny, Tuck and Ming-Ming using the toilet, washing hands, being rewarded with stickers...). But there's no doubt about it. Potty training is no cup of tea.

Monday, February 18, 2008
Toilet Use is Highly Overrated
Posted by
SandyKay
at
5:18 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
15 comments:
You're amazing. All I did was give them M&M's.
Wow! So much effort! Maybe it's easier to just plan on buying diapers until they're in college... I've been puting off trying a little potty training for Aiden (not that I expect an 18-mon-old to fully potty train but I'd be happy with poops in the potty and using the diaper for just pees) but maybe I'll rethink for a while.
Way to go!
Holy Crap! That is a serious party. Sorry it didn't work out the way you planned. Potty training Harriett was awful and potty training Henri was a piece of cake. I think it has a lot to do with their personality. Henri has been in underwear for naps for the last month so we decided we are going to see how he does in underwear at night. Good luck with Ava. Whoever said boys are harder to potty train is on crack.
just thinking about it makes me sigh with tiredness. i love the puppies all lined up for their picnic. you're doing a great job.
Props to you for giving it your all. Maybe you can sell the homemade panties on etsy :). Don't worry, the diapers can't last forever. Just let her pee her pants and she'll learn. I think pull-ups just prolong the process. Just plan on spot treating your carpet for two weeks and all will be well. I'm about to take the plunge (fully intended pun) with Boston. I'm just debating the hassle of running to find a potty when we're out and about.
A for effort, that's for sure. Was that wall painting behind the TV for the party or did you guys do that yourselves? It looks great. Can you paint at your place?
I have to be careful and just read this post on the DL. I would hate for my little toads to walk by and see what is up at your place. They would be on the next plane for the land where Moms are fun, patient and creative. Something that has been in short supply since you left!
I highly recommend the way we trained Alana -- Craig and I left for an extended weekend of fun in Las Vegas, and my Mom potty trained Alana while we were gone! We probably ended up spending the same amount as you did on the party! Go Sandy!
If it makes you feel better, the "potty training in one day" book didn't work for me either. However, your party looked WAAAAAYYYyyyyy more fun than ours did.
We finally resorted to gumballs in a cheapy gumball machine, one penny for a pee and two for a poop...except for Maggie, she got Dollar Store "Princess Prizes" that were wrapped, she's always been a bit more...shall we say, involved? :) Hey, whatever works right?
Hang in there!
WOW! I can see that my paltry efforts at purchasing a three pack of Dora the Explorer underpants, and a mini bag of M&M's are in no way going to hold up to this carnival approach. And really, the more I think about it, the little swimmers appeal to me WAY more than trecking to the skeevy beach facilities all summer.
You are seriously amazing.
Wow,
That's incredible. I haven't started to potty train Sara yet...she's gone a couple times on the toilet, and I always offer it, but she adimately does not want to use the toilet. I also think she just recently became aware of when she was peeing so maybe the time to potty train will soon come...it'd be nice to be done by June so I only have 1 kid to change, but we'll see. June isn't that far off.
Oh-i do not miss those days. At times they seem so close...and you think they are only days aways...and then months later you are still having to talk about pee and poop waaayyyy too much! I agree with the pull-ups we didn't do those too long since they didn't seem to help teach Rach anything-and they were expensive. Here is where a tile/wood floor comes in handy and you just go all panties and it is easier to clean up.
I didn't know potty training required so much preparation and parties and such things. Maybe I'll send Logan to Texas for a little vacation when time comes...:)
Thats amazing! Cool!!! miss you!!!!!
xo
Post a Comment