Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Dragon Slippers



You may not know that I am almost famous. Yes, I am the Faulkner County Spelling Bee Champion of 1987 (winning word: assassinate). Oh, and that was me and my guinea pig who stole the title of Toad Suck Children's Pet Show Winner in 1988. But I'm not referring to these illustrious accomplishments (or the...err..many..err..others..that I'm not mentioning due to space restrictions..). I'm referring, rather, to fame by association. Even better than that: by relation (but not blood).

My sister-in-law, Jessica Day George, is a bona fide, published writer. So for Media Monday, I am highlighting her first book, and encouraging you all to get off your duffs and read it. Dragon Slippers, released last spring, is a delightful young adult fantasy about a spunky girl named Creel who acquires a pair of magical slippers from a dragon. It's great fun to follow her adventures as she leaves her humble childhood home for the big city (actually, gets kicked out by her aunt who wants to sacrifice her to a dragon, in order to get her saved by a prince, who will thus be forced to marry her and then make the aunt a rich woman). She talks her way out of that difficult situation (yes, with the dragon), then heads for the big city, where she earns fame for her incredible dressmaking skills (so fun to read about those gorgeous dresses!), garners suspicion from many suspicious characters, rebuffs the haughty and crooked cityfolk, and becomes friends with the cute prince. Oh, and lots of dragons and saving the city and stuff like that. It is fabulous, witty, and fun.

Jessica's second book just came out in January, and though I haven't read it yet, I hear it is also a great read. It's called Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow. The sequel to Dragon Slippers will be released in May; it's called Dragon Flight. And these aren't some obscure books you have to order through the author, or buy at a kiosk in Valley Fair Mall. They're published by Bloomsbury, and you can find them at your local Borders, Barnes & Noble, order them from Amazon, or check them out at the library.

Check out Jessica's website for more info on her books, her interests, and a recipe for Ulfrid's Sausage Rolls! While I'm on the subject of Jessica, she is also an incredible knitter, crocheter, and mom. Very talented gal, and lots of fun herself.

And here is Ava with Jessica's little cutie pie (a while back):

4 comments:

kelly said...

i've been meaning to add dragon slippers to my library list. and 2 more book out this year! i don't understand how some mom's do it. really impressive in my book... which is non-existent because i'm too disorganized or mentally wrapped up with candy land...

SandyKay said...

Yeah, I ask myself that alot--"how does she do it?!"

Jessica??

ueberhund said...

You have to be prepared to let the kids watch a lot of movies.

Karriba said...

Hi sandy! Thats a really cute picture of your kids, from kari in massachussettes!