
"In vain have I struggled; it will not do."
If there is one character in film who can unite all women into a Sisterhood of Swooners, it has got be Mr. Darcy, as played by Colin Firth in the BBC version of Pride & Prejudice. Is there ANY woman out there (regardless of your state of commitment or matrimony to the love of your life; there is no shame!) who has not been positively dizzy or giddy with romantic notions while watching Mr. Darcy gaze distractedly across the drawing room, or stride across the lawns of Permberley dripping wet and untucked, or finally declare his love to a loathful Lizzie?
I could pretty much write a book about Darcy/Firth (Mr. Firthcy?), but I might embarrass myself or disappoint my husband, so I won't.
But other people have. Actually, they're all women (Suprised?). I just read a book by Shannon Hale, entitled Austenland, about a woman who is obsessed with Darcy/Firth, to a crippling extent (though I don't think she's all that crazy). In the hope of overcoming her preoccupation with Darcy and coming to terms with her lackluster love life, she takes a 3-week vacation to an Austenian retreat, where everybody eats, talks, acts as if they are in a Jane Austen novel. It's a pretty cute book--kinda light and fun. Also in the Mr. Darcy-Infatuation Genre are Bridget Jones's Diary (Helen Fielding) and Me & Mr. Darcy (Alexandra Potter). I'm sure there are more out there (Jessica? Kelly?).
Okay, readers, let your voice be heard: Are you a Darcy-Doting-Daydreamer? Or do you wonder what all the fuss is about? Have you perhaps never seen BBC's Pride & Prejudice? I have assumed that every woman is in love with Mr. Darcy/Colin Firth, but I could be wrong.
Monday, February 4, 2008
Media Monday: The Hottie of all Hotties
Posted by
SandyKay
at
7:52 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Jenn A and I were just swooning over Mr. Darcy on Saturday.
I have to say that one of my favorite movie watching marathons of all time was when, after tucking the wee ones in at night, your Mom, Kelly, You and I would sneak back to the TV and watch P & P until we couldn't prop our googly eyes open any longer night after night. A close second of course is when you came over and we vegged and watched Gone With The WInd. Thanks for pulling me out of my hole and introducing me to these classics!
By the way.. the fabric was from JoAnn's. They had 2 other series of prints there that were screaming Sandy. You'll know when you see them!
If you want to finish a dress in one day, give Andy a call... I gave myself WAY too much credit!
My heart fluttered as the first picture loaded up and I read that first quote. He really is quite dreamy. I love that man.
My friend Noelle just watched the A&E version for the first time and wasn't in love. What is her deal. Here are her comments on it.
http://noelleodesigns.blogspot.com/2008/01/holiday-weekend.html
I miss you Sandy!
I dream of Mr. Darcy :) I have yet to read Austenland, but it's on my list. mmmmmm!
These blogs are so entertaining. Have you ever considered writing a book?
These blogs are so entertaining. Have you ever considered writing a book?
I have to say my heart skipped a beat when I scrolled down to the picture of Mr Darcy. It reminded me of my days in Russia where I first watched that movie and then proceeded to watch it about 4 more times in the course of the 4 months I was there. (which as you know is a lot of time devoted since the movie is so long)
I can't hardly remember I time when I didn't swoon over Mr. Darcy. P & P was the first "classic" I ever read in the 9th grade. I had no idea what I was getting into. I stayed up late over a few days to finish it. I was elated when the A&E version came out. Thanks for the book recommendations. I read a book written from Mr. Darcy's perspective a couple of summers ago. It wasn't that great. I'm even embarrassed to admit I frequented a website for a couple of years (www.pemberley.com) where people post continuations of Austen stories. What can I say...it's just THAT good.
Post a Comment