Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Family Gathering=Quest for Food

A few weeks ago, Mom and Dad and my oldest brother Eric came to visit. Eric was just with us for a few days, then my parents hung on an extra few after that. We had a lovely time, though I am going to keep the play-by-play brief. Really. In short, I love having my parents visit. They are gracious, helpful, accommodating, and fun. They also had a mission while they were here: to cram as much Mexican food into 5 days as possible. More on that later (but briefly!).


They all arrived after attending a tragic BYU football game in Dallas, but they managed to put on happy faces and enjoy their weekend (unless it was all an act).

We had one day with Eric in Austin, so we took a long traffic-y drive, ate at two yummy Mexican restaurants in one day, and saw the roof-strutting, tree-hopping peacocks that have been featured on this blog before.


Then we spent the weekend in San Antonio, scouring the Riverwalk for the best chips, salsa, and enchiladas. Yum-yum. Manhattan Mexican, aside from its unconvincing name, was de-lish!


We cruised the river, too. Oh, and Derek and I got to go out on a date for, yes, more Mexican food (dessert and virgin margaritas, specifically).

And we checked out the missions of San Antonio (also discussed on this blog in the past).


When all was said and done, we were FULL and HAPPY. Oh, except anyone with children can guess the level of exhaustion and crankiness of a one and three-year old, following 5 days of running around.
Unfortunately, by the time this photo was taken, Eric had left. He was like a 3rd parent, and I mean that in a very good way. He was always there to swing Ava onto his shoulders, feed a hungry PJ-mouth, hoist a stroller down the stairs, and help out with anything that Ava's and PJ's biological parents couldn't (or wouldn't) do for them. We just wish he could've brought his wife and girls along with him.

The last few days in Austin, we ate more Mexican, and then more Mexican. And really, I think we all could have kept going. Have I mentioned there's really good Mexican food here? All you Bostonians need to hop on down here, because I know you're not getting it there.

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

Sorry but nothing beats Cafe Rio.

Katie said...

Now I really want to come visit so we can try out some of the Mexican food. I love Mexican.

Cherisa said...

I have been to San Antonio a few times in my life and I could swear I've eaten at Manhattan Mexican. Of course, almost any Mexican food west of the Mississippi is better than what's available in the Boston area!

Glad you all had fun! I'm missing the great state of Texas!

Missletoe said...

You're right, we're not getting any. I am glad to hear that you ate enough for all of us.

Missletoe said...

BTW, I feel cheated that we didn't get the actual play-by-play of EVERY savory bite. Better take it to the food blog.