For family night, we entertained each other with a living room masking-taped hopscotch. Ava got the hang of it, and we tricked her once again into staving off a sedentary lifestyle.
Any time something is just so much fun, Ava breaks out in dance. I wish I had the nerve to do that every time I am having a grand time.
I thought my hopscotching with a giggly 23-pounder on my shoulders was pretty commendable....
But Derek had to take things a step further, and hopscotch with one leg tucked behind his neck.
Show-off.
We have another new family favorite: sandwich-making. This hearkens back to my childhood when all of us kids (the younger crowd of us) would pile on my parents' bed with my mom and make sandwiches by stacking ourselves up. We loved it.
I introduced it to Ava: one of us humans was a bottom piece of bread (or bun), and then various blankets, pillows, and stuffed animals (and books and scraps of paper, once things got really silly) became the other layers of foody goodness. Well, now Ava thinks being a slice of bread is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Here she is as the bottom bun of a very large hamburger:
And adding the top bun makes it all the better.
I especially enjoyed taking my turn as the bottom bun and letting Ava pile things on top of me, while she provided details of each delectable item. For instance, the pink and white blanket above is "bar-de-cue Mexican bean soup mayonnaise onion poop spicy sauce." Obviously. In Ava's personal heaven, her parents would make her into human sandwiches for hours on end.
Friendship has been blossoming between the girls. In the past, Ava has been fairly aggressive with her affection towards PJ, and it hasn't always gone over very well. But PJ is finally accepting Ava's goodwill embraces and offering more of her own. The double carts at Costco seem to especially evoke feelings of tenderness for PJ, as she will lean over into Ava's side and wrap her arms around her, squeezing her sister in a smiley hug for minutes at a time, while I melt. And load the cart with milk and eggs.

(The next one is a couple of months old, but it reinforces the main idea, so I'm including it.)
And Ava has even condescended to play computer games with PJ's participation.
And speaking of LOVE, we had a lovely Valentine's Day complete with the requisite pile of heart-shaped pancakes (pink, no less!).
Who can resist heartsy little girls' dresses?! Obviously not my mom and sister. Thanks, you two!

Monday, February 23, 2009
Family Antics
Posted by
SandyKay
at
11:12 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
I had no idea Derek was so flexible. Lucky you! ;)
What an adorable idea! Oh, and your girls are insanely cute.
I'm sure your downstairs neighbors loved your evening of hopscotch! But it's not a bad idea for indoor play!
Those are some tasty looking sandwiches, too. I believe my family played a game of this nature but I can't remember what we called it... Something about worms underground but similar concept. It's amazing what kids find almost universally amusing!
Next time I'm in Texas I'll have to check out the San Antonio zoo. I've been to "San Ann Tone" but never to the zoo there. Looks like a nice activity!
Thanks for the update!
Oh I love Ava's dress! And good job on the pancakes. I'm going to have to learn the art of making shaped pancakes someday soon.
Oh, we sure miss you guys! What fun you've been having! Ava and PJ are just so big...nothing like sisterly love!
Abz says, "I want to be the cheese, and Ava is the bread, and so Sandy. Mom, you can be the pickles".
Alana LOVED all those pictures! (Of course we had to make them all really big to get a good look at them!) But when we got to the end, she wondered how Ava got her heart dress. When I told her that Ava had one just like hers, she had to go to her closet to make sure it was still there! Now that she's satisfied, we're lookikng at the pictures again.
Your girls are so adorable! It looks like you guys know how to have a good time and keep them entertained. I am so glad they are bonding so much, they will be bffs forever.
Sandy, that's a brilliant idea to hopscotch right on the living room floor. I'm going to copy your idea...my girls would love it! Your girls are adorable! I love all the pictures! I'm so glad we finally got in touch. Sounds like life is great for the Georges :)
Happy LOVE day! What cute dresses! And so cute that Ava and PJ are becoming the best of friends.
Gosh they're adorable... thank heavens for blogs so that we can actually get to see what beautiful girls they are growing up to be.
Wow your girls are looking so cute and big!!! It must be so fun watching PJ open up and start to realize Ava is there and loves her. I wish I could see it in person.
Post a Comment