Thursday, February 5, 2009

Sewing Machine

I have a new Thing, and it is sewing. I've completed a few projects over the years, but I've recently become a little obsessed with learning to sew. Up to this point, I have had to learn a new skill for every project I've attempted, but now I'm taking a sewing class and am hoping to upgrade from Beginner to Beginner-Advanced within the next month.

This morning I finished up a fun little project, using a fabulous online tutorial.

Exhibit A: Shirt purchased for Derek years ago, which Derek rejected due to the "pinkish" stripe in the fabric. Shirt rescued from Goodwill pile in the nick of time.

Exhibit B: A summer dress for Ava!

15 comments:

The Wife said...

Very cute! Good job! Any chance you would like to help the youth make skirts for the youth conference pioneer activity? :)

Cherisa said...

What a great conversion! I think you're well on your way to something beyond beginner-advanced!

Melonius said...

Excellent!

Brenna said...

I am very impressed! That is such a cute dress!

Becca said...

It's adorable Sandy! Great job. I had a horrible sewing teaching when I took Home Ec in Junior High, and I've had a chip on my shoulder about sewing ever since then. But this project might be worth reexamining my prejudices for. Too bad all Scot's unworn shirts went to Goodwill before we moved. I may just have to go buy one at Salvation Army.

Jenny May McKim said...

Super cute dress..
I would venture to say you are
beyond beginner already!
It actually a great idea for
really inexpensive if you were
to get the shirts at a thrift
shop.. Must look into that.
With two girls coming and I
have just got into sewing too,
it will give me things to do!

Jan said...

That is so cute!! Where are you taking your sewing classes? I definitely need some lessons!

Missletoe said...

Genius! We have appreciated your sewing skills around here too!

Farrah said...

It turned out awesome! I can't wait to see it on her!

Bess said...

I've had that tutorial saved for so long and still haven't gotten around to doing it. I thought it looked too hard:( I think you have surpassed my sewing ability already. Nice job.

Katie said...

Wow, I'm impressed. That is so cute!

Cheryl said...

A very clever way to recycle a shirt! Lucky Ava.

Jeni said...

How cool is that?? You're a regular artsy fartsy, becky homecky, molly mormon woman! One of these days I'm going to hopefully get a sewing machine too. You're an expert!

Adah said...

I am very impressed!! It is so cute not that I am surprised you have the best taste. I hope you keep trying new things it will give me an idol to look up to.

Anonymous said...

Holy skills girl!