Monday, April 13, 2009

Know Anyone Who Was Alive in 1908?


In March, my grandmother turned 101 years old. She is a beautiful person, and I love and admire her so much. I was lucky enough to go to Arkansas during the week of her birthday. At her birthday bash, she recognized very few people, and yet she was as gracious as can be to every person who embraced her or congratulated her on her 101 years. I think that everyone who spoke to her thought that they were the most important person in the room to Grandma. Even though she gets very confused about where she is, who is around her, and what is going on, she hides it by exuding such thoughtfulness and genuine concern for all around her.

A youth group from church threw the party for her and the residents at her assisted living center. The kids decorated, sang, and chatted it up with the folks in the home. One of my favorite moments was when this kid sporting a dyed-black mohawk and a t-shirt that said something about embracing evil (?) came over to Grandma to wish her a happy birthday and give her a little hug. He was so very sweet to Grandma, and she treated him as kindly and politely as she would have Ronald Reagan (her politics) or her own child.

Happy 101 YEARS to Grandma Katherine!

Ava and PJ partying hard with Grandddad...

And the cousins chowing on birthday cake (Alana and Ava), which occupied them for pretty much the entire party:

While we were in Arkansas, we also had time for the park--

Bed-jumping with Alana--

Snuggling with Grandma--

Reading books in bed--

And spending quality time with cool Cousin Bryce (That would be quality time for ME, too! Thanks, Bryce, for adopting PJ for a day!).

The girls never lose an opportunity to contemplate their gratitude for the basic necessities that they have never had to live without (This is at Heifer International's learning center in Arkansas. If you don't know about Heifer, check out their site. It's really an amazing organization. I will give them lots of money when I win the lottery. Shoot. I have to play the lottery to win it, huh?).

No comments: