Sunday, January 10, 2010

Christmasy Things

It's cliche to say so, but Christmas is probably my favorite time of the year. It is the celebration of something so beautiful, and it so full of traditions and happy memories and family and lovely music, that I can't help but love every moment of it (barring trips to the post office).

Here are some of our favorite Christmasy things...

  • Picking out a tree that somehow I never took a photo of after it was decorated. HOW? I don't know.



  • Setting up nativities


  • Making gifts (my goal for this Christmas was to do almost all homemade gifts, and it was really fun, and I'm not being sarcastic.). These clothes for Ava's precious Spotty McSpot-Spot were the least effort and the most adored gift I created, by far.


  • Reading fine Christmas literature (Favorites include Sandra Boynton's BOB; Anne Mueke's Dinosaurs Night Before Christmas with accompanying dinosaur carols; and B is For Bethlehem with Elisa Kleven's gorgeous illustrations).

  • Taking a little girl to the Nutcracker (and trying to squelch the loud, 4-year old groans during the last act when every little sugary creature came out to dance 12 different times: "AUUUUGGHH!! But they already danced, Mom!" Fortunately, the first act was beloved from start to finish. We probably should've called it a show and left during intermission.).

  • Finally breaking out the full winter gear (Remember, this is Texas, so tights count as winter gear; and yes, my girls like to dress themselves.).

  • Immediately testing out the new Christmas toys (thanks for the t-ball set, Grandma and Granddad!)


Oh, and then there's the 3,200 mile road trip, but I'll save that for another post.

1 comment:

Jane Kay said...

What delightful memories Ava and Penelope will have of their Christmases. Loved Spotty's new wardrobe!