Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Driving Top Ten

We drove to Utah for the holidays. It was a great trip. So without further ado, here is the first installment of my Top 10 Holiday Lists. Don't fret; there are just 2 of them.

Top 10 Things That Made 50 Hours of Driving Not Just Bearable, But Enjoyable
1. The most freakishly well-behaved girls in the backseat. For example, our first day consisted of 14 hours on the road, with just two 10-minute stops to get gas and use restrooms. And they were angelic and pleasant all the day long. Seriously, the next time I'm having a rough day with those kids, I'm going to throw them in the car and drive to Canada. Weird, huh?

2. The Donut Stop in Amarillo. Mmm..donuts.

3. A fabulous driver who never complained about anything. And he's fun to talk to, and he's cute.

4. A fearless navigator

5. Beautiful, beautiful southern Utah to enjoy on the way. It is a place of many happy memories for me and Derek, including the spot of his proposal (in Canyonlands). So what if Moab was 15 (!) degrees. At least that kept us from spending too long there (thus lengthening our trip time).


6. Early mornings hitting the road with at least 1/2 the family out of their jammies, and at least 3/4 of the family feeling cheery.

7. Snow on the grass, arches, and cows, but no snow on the road (phew!)

8. The portable DVD player that has been adored by parent and child alike on every long road trip since our move to TX

9. Silly escapades from the back seat to keep us entertained

10. Hotels that were Disneyland-level fun after being strapped in a car all day.

5 comments:

Katie said...

Oh fun! I'm glad they were so good for the trip. It was great to see you guys.

Adah said...

Wow I had no idea you drove for 50 hours!! That is insane! I am glad you are insane though because it was great to see you!!!! You do get around!

Missletoe said...

I would stuff myself (and my teaming crowd) into a car with you kids for a looooooog drive anytime. Good times. sigh....

Jeni said...

I love road trips. Sometimes the funnest part of a trip is getting there.

Those donuts are making me hungry!! Yum!!

Jan said...

Wow, luck was on your side to make that long drive with only TWO stops! Usually we need to make a pit stop for Sam after 10 minutes! Oh, and did you hear? We're moving to Dallas in March. That's not too far, right? We'll have to get together!