I made some delicious chicken last night. If you follow my directions carefully, you too can have the same delightful culinary experience that I have had.
Buy some split chicken breasts (the ones with the bone and skin). They often go on sale for .99/lb, which makes for a very economical dinner, and are usually more flavorful than boneless/skinless breasts.
If you have time, you can soak them in a brine for added flavor and moistness. To do this, pour about a quart of cold water in a gallon size zip-loc, then dissolve 2/3 C of sugar and 2/3 C salt in it. Place the chicken in it, zip 'er up, and chill in the fridge for an hour or two. Rinse the chicken, pat dry, and continue on to the recipe.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. That should make it plenty hot to create an adventure for you later on in the evening. Use a deep, oven-safe skillet.
Heat butter and olive oil (1 or 2 Tbsp of each) in the skillet on the stove over medium-high. While the butter's melting, rub the breasts with 1 Tbsp lemon zest (about 2 lemons worth), 1-2 tsp of fresh chopped rosemary (you can come get it in my yard), pepper, and salt. But go easy on the salt if you've brined the chicken.
When the pan's hot and the butter's melted, brown the breasts in the pan on the stove with the skin side down. After a few minutes, turn the breasts over with tongs. Now they're skin-side up. Place in the oven uncovered.
Cook for 15 minutes in the oven, then turn breasts over and keep on roasting. After about 15 more minutes, check to see if they're done. They might need additional time, so keep checking every 5 minutes till they're ready. When you go to check your chicken for doneness, make sure to grab the handle of the skillet that has been warmed to a toasty 450 degrees. Let go, then proceed quickly to the nearest sink. Once there, hold your hand under cool running water and scream for a bit. Be prepared to give your husband directions for the rest of your dinner preparations, because you will be tied up at the sink trying not to cry or use words that you don't want your children to know until they're older.
When the remainder of dinner is ready at the table, have your husband carry a bowl of cold water containing your hand to the table and set it conveniently next to your place setting. Let him also cut the chicken for you, and then enjoy the deliciousness while frantically swirling your "hot hand" in the bowl of water.
Once dinner is over and you've enjoyed watching your husband take responsibility for all the clean-up, put-away, and wipe-up, proceed to the nearest emergency room.
And that, my friends, is Emergency Room Chicken! Mmmm... I can still hear the meat sizzling...
9 comments:
Oh, man. I was afraid that was where this story was going. I hope they gave you some nice stuff to take care of the pain. That is not going to be fun healing.
Oh, I'm so sorry that happened. How bad is the burn? It is so easy to forget that little handle is hot. It just looks so inviting to grab without thinking.
Ouch! Sounds like something I'd be inclined to do... The recipe sounds delicious. The visit to the ER, not quite so much.
Wishing you quick healing! :)
sad! are you ok? it's hard to be a mom w/o 2 hands!
Yum! That recipe does sound delicious. I might give it a try. I might not do the whole hand burning thing... but whatever floats your boat. :p Just kidding. Hope if heals fast.
Whoa Sandy! Owww! I thought you were going to tell us about how you all got e. coli. Not sure whether I'd want food poisoning or lose the use of my hand. Hope it gets out of lots of chores. Chris
Was the aeromatic scent of the chicken overpowered by burning flesh?? I hope not! That sounds aweful - hope you heal quickly!
Oh Sandy!! It hurts to even read this post! This is definitely something I would have done, so don't feel too badly about it! Hope it heals quickly!
Oh no. That is horrible.
Not sure I can eat chicken without thinking about your tasty hand.
Post a Comment