Monday, June 30, 2008

Baby for Baby Bro



My baby brother Brian just had a baby of his own. His little girl Addison was born recently. Unfortunately I have not yet had the pleasure of her acquaintance, but all reports are that she is a bundle of cuteness, which is no surprise, considering how handsome and beautiful her parents are. She also came out full-baby. I don't have the stats in front of me, but she is something like 5 feet tall and 89 pounds. Her baby clothes are a snug fit already, as you can imagine.

I have always looked forward to seeing Brian become a dad, because he has been a natural with kids ever since HE was a little kid. When I babysat in my neighborhood as a teenager, Brian would come hang out with me sometimes. Even though he was usually the same age as the children for whom I was responsible, Brian would always help out and entertain with absolute patience and cheeriness. I remember our neighbor Alex, just a little toddler at the time, racing down the hall to Brian's arms over and over. Brian was about 8 years old at the time. Another time, Brian came along with me to babysit these 2 sweet (I mean, truly, as sweet as they come, unlike MANY of the children I babysat), Catholic kids. They adored Brian, and the little boy said to him at one point, "I wish YOU were our brother." To which the little girl responded, "He IS our brother, in God's way! We're all brothers and sisters." Brian, aged 10, decided this was a nice opportunity for a meaty doctrinal conversation, and said to the angelic, adoring children, "Well, that means Satan is your brother, too!" Thanks, Brian. You have a way of turning sweetness on its head.

But really, I can imagine few other couples who are so well suited to be parents than Brian and Crissy. They are responsible, loving, sincere, creative, and fun people; and that little Addison is seriously lucky to have them for a mom and dad.

2 comments:

kelly said...

i forgot all about that story about brothers and sisters in God's way... ha ha. so funny! and yes, addison looks adorable, lucy keeps asking when she's going to able to snuggle her. i have the same question!

Missletoe said...

Superkid LOVED playing baseball with Brian. I am so glad to hear he has a kiddie of his own! She is darling.