Tuesday, June 17, 2008

She's Still Got It


Last weekend, Derek and I (and Josh) saw Loretta Lynn. It was fabulous. Watching her perform, you get the impression that she doesn't even have to try. She has such a spunky, down-home, easy way about her; and she is such a natural on stage (well, she should be after 40 years of performing). We saw her at Stubb's--a BBQ restaurant/music venue downtown. It was outdoors and about 90 degrees, even at 10 pm, but we enjoyed every bit of it. And if it wasn't enough to have a babysitter, get downtown, see a show (and a country legend, at that)--it was also the weekend of the Republic of Texas Biker Rally (ROT-the biggest bike rally in TX).

So after the show, we meandered down 6th Street with hordes of beleathered bikers and gawkers (that would be us: gawking at the bikes). Seriously. The bikes. I'd never seen anything like it. They were lined up 2-deep on both sides of the road as far as you could see. And so many amazing bikes. I was kicking myself for not having a camera, because there were 2 bikes in particular that were life-changing. Okay, maybe an exaggeration, but at least jaw-droppingly incredible. Thanks to the good old worldwide web, I have located some photos of one of the fave bikes. This one was the crowd-stopper, over-the-top crazy bike.


You can't tell from the pictures, but those handlebars were as tall as ME. It is a HUGE bike. And the seat and hundreds of other parts that I don't know the names to were all covered in this intricately etched leather, plus every piece of metal came to life as a skull or horn or claw or breast (just kidding. no breasts that I recall-on that one).

The other bike I loved had this incredible painting all over it. Gorgeous colors and details, plus every conceivable female archetype with a skull face and sumptuous clothing. I haven't found a photo of that one yet.

A good weekend. Reminded me of my once-dream of retiring with a couple of Harleys and touring the country in our old age. Derek is holding out for an Airstream, though.

4 comments:

captainPickle said...

The concert was amazing and the biker rally was just icing on the cake. I think I'm going to start earmarking some money to get me a hog.

C and T Orvin said...

Looks like you guys had a great time. Derek... Casey had a nap that looked about the same as yours but he was sleeping...trying to sleep with dinosaurs. :) Sandy...Casey agrees well I agree with the whole mullet thing...ummm glad we met later in life heehee:)
Your new hair cuts are way cute. Summer time is a great time to chop it off I agree.

Adah said...

That is so great that you got to go to the concert. Will and I are too scared to get a babysitter for that long!! But we are working up to it.

WE saw a bike rally one time in New Hampshire and it was amazing. Bikes where just every where. Glad you got to have a similar experience.

Have you been to a roller derby bought lately?

Unknown said...

Hi Georges - This is halarious. Not the concert (cause I too like country) but the Bike Rally. We had a similar experience in Myrtle Beach.
We went there back in April for the NC dental convention, a great excuse for a vacation write-off. Anyway, the incessant roar of the bikes all day and ALL NIGHT (until 3 am and started again at 6 am) was enough to drive anyone CRAZY... especially a 2 yr old!
Lesson Learned: check the city's website for any bike rallies BEFORE booking a family vacation.