Sunday, June 1, 2008

A Manly Task?


I'll never understand the Ways of Men. Yesterday, I walked in on a bug-like Derek prostrate on the floor with Ava's new bed rails hovering above him. It must be some strange and mystical rite that men perform when assembling objects for domestic use. I may never know, and though I subscribe generally to the tenets of feminism, perhaps I do not ever want to know. Derek could comment on this post and explain himself, but I know he won't, as it would violate some Manly Code to which he is forever obliged.

In the end, it worked out, because now Ava has an adorable new bed. And soon, I am going to exile my sweet baby PJ to her sister's room where she will inherit the big crib, but I'm not quite ready to do it, as it seems to symbolize some End to Babyhood, and I am having problems with that.

9 comments:

Missletoe said...

Yeah! The rainbow butterfly linens are out!!!

...whatever D-Bob did seemed to have worked, so I am with you; snap a picture and don't ask questions!

Cherisa said...

Oooo... I'm loving Ava's new bed! I always wanted a day bed when I was little but the concept didn't really work all that well with a waterbed.

I don't know how anyone exiles their babies to cribs in other rooms. I spent the first year of Aiden's life waking up at least once a night to be sure he was still breathing! Of course, maybe I'm a little more neurotic than your average parent... I figure by the time you're ready to kill them for kicking you in the head/back/chest all night, that's the time for their own beds and room.

The mysteries of men and puting things together mystifies me, too. I have a LONG story about Ian puting up cabinets in our new place but I won't bore your other readers with it! :)

kelly said...

lucy keeps asking what uncle derek is doing too.. i just don't even dknow what to say.
did ava get her hair cut? and look at penelope standing there!

SandyKay said...

And I forgot to add that I got the bed at IKEA for $59. Yep-$59. Love those deals.

Cherisa said...

I was gonna ask if that was an Ikea deal... Too cute!

Jeni said...

That's an interesting way to assemble a bed. :) The room looks great!

Jan said...

I'm glad I got your blog address and have gotten to know your family. What a great bed for Ava...very lady like!

Gretchen said...

Can you please follow me throughout my life and validate my feelings for me? Please? I desperately need Roe out of our bedroom. It isn't the greatest setup for him or us anymore but I cannot for the life of me convince myself to do it. I'm so glad to know you too are suffering the same enigma.
Maybe we can do it band-aid style. Well close our eyes and rip the children from our beds. It may only sting for a moment.
What's worse evicting an infant thereby forcing them into toddler-hood or having to get up in the night to feed the evicted?

Adah said...

Very exciting entertainment...does he do Birthday parties??